Friday, June 1, 2012

Welcome to the 2012 Bates College AESOP Blog!


Hello everyone and welcome to the 2012 AESOP Blog!

In this blog we will post updates on the work that goes behind running the AESOP program.  We will post updates on what the coordinators and leaders are up to this summer as well as the preparations that go into the AESOP program!  This blog is a means for us to keep connected with you and most importantly to get you excited about your upcoming years at Bates! 

We’ve been working hard for the past few months hiring a group of dedicated, enthusiastic, and responsible leaders for your trips as well as planning and updating the 48 trips we have to offer.  If you haven’t already checked out our website head on over to http://www.bates.edu/entering/aesop/ and look over the trips and other information about the AESOP program.

We hope that your summers are starting off well and are excited to start your college careers.  I remember my summer before my freshman year being a mix of excitement, anxiety, curiosity, and shenanigans.  I foresee this summer as being a similar bag of things going into my senior year and co-directing AESOP. 

Over the past semester Ellie, Mackie, and I have been up to all kinds of adventures ranging from working on organic farms in Chile, to climbing peaks and jumping into frozen lakes, to meeting H.H. the Dalai Lama in India.  That last one was one of my adventures and it was unbelievably special.  It was certainly one of the many highlights in my 4+ months abroad in northern India studying Tibetan culture.  Other highlights included hiking in the Himalayas, drinking copious amounts of butter tea with my Tibetan host family (acquired taste/highlight), eating delicious and cheep Indian food whenever I wanted, and learning that many Buddhist monks are HUGE fans of Justin Bieber (it’s quite entertaining to be playing carum with several monks while they all sing BABY, BABY, BABY, OH).  It was an incredible and life changing experience and I cannot wait until we can return... Talking about India in general not singing some Justin with maroon clad Bieber fans, although I would never pass that opportunity up.   

I’ve added some pictures from my adventures in India below, enjoy! 

That’s all folks (for now).  Remember to get your AESOP applications in and if you have any questions don’t hesitate to email us at aesop.bates@gmail.com or call us at 207 330 0610!  Have a great summer and check back every so often for new updates!

~Will 


First Auto ride through Hyderabad

Epic sunset over the Dhauladhar subrange of the Hymalayas

Easily wins the best beard I saw while in India

Dharamsala, India

Triund, Dharamsala, India

Ft. Kochi, Kerala, India

Another epic sunset in Dharamsala, India

At the daily 6am fish auction in Kochi

Last day in India spent hiking in the Himalayas!


1 comment:

  1. NICE BLOG!!! I'm happy to find numerous useful info here in the post. I would really like to come back again right here for likewise good articles or blog posts. Thanks for sharing !!
    top Journalism colleges in Hyderabad
    mass communication colleges in Hyderabad



    ReplyDelete